Saturday, November 24, 2012

"Elections don don" as they say.

In the aftermath of the Salone elections, the streets are very quiet... Saturday morning after Friday night results... Whew. I for one, am glad that's over.

By all accounts this morning, things were relatively peaceful last night... as thousands of APC supporters took to the streets... dancing, singing, banging pot lids, shouting and honking horns. The unusual November rain last night helped quell the jubilations, which was probably a good thing.

As I look off my balcony, I see the giant Maada Bio poster still standing in the middle of Congo Cross... where thousands of APC supporters gathered last night. That's a good, positive indication that things didn't get too out of hand.

I was so pleased to see the voter turnout, the peaceful lines of people, the orderly conduct of the polling stations, the lack of party colours, etc. on voting day (17th Nov). Then, the wait was excruciating... Finally, the official announcement and swearing in ceremony put an end to the build-up. Whew... Months and months of campaigning, propaganda, complaints and counter-claims, suspicion, back-stabbing and back and forth are finished.

I'm working on several pieces, now that things are finished (hopefully) and I'll post notes as I go. Time for the analysis...

Some are very happy... Some are not. That's the way elections go... and that's the way democracy runs... It may not be the "gold standard" but, as Sierra Leoneans say, "we're trying".

More later.
S/

No comments:

Post a Comment