Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Campaign spending...

About a year ago, I recall a discussion I had with a renowned/seasoned journalist and editor here in Freetown. Kelvin Lewis is the Managing Director/Editor of Awoko newspaper (www.awoko.org) and a man I have a great deal of time and respect for. He's definitely "one of the good ones" around Sierra Leone... and I'm very honoured and pleased to call him a good friend.

I recall this particular discussion, out of the many chats we've had, because the issue of "how difficult it is in Sierra Leone" came up. We talked about poverty. We talked about the many things he and I do for some families around Freetown. We talked about the lack of money filtering down to the people of Sierra Leone, despite the millions and millions of dollars in international aid and international investment coming into the country.

He said something I'll always remember... He said, "Stephen, just wait a little while for the election campaigning to swing into full speed. The money will flow freely."

Mr. Lewis was absolutely right... There seems to be a ton of money flowing from all quarters... but not necessarily to the people who need it most.

The two main political parties have spent untold millions on campaign trinkets, whistles, posters, vehicles, scarves, hats, banners, parades, t-shirts, buying votes, helmets for motorcycle taxi riders, alcohol, music production and sound system rentals, etc. etc. I know at least three people who've received thousands of dollars to "campaign" for their party. I know politicians who've been "bought over" to one party or the other. I know media folks/outlets who've been paid by politicians. I know NGO groups who've received thousands of dollars to do "voter education" or "election sensitization". I know of well-funded projects that have been implemented that've had absolutely no impact on voters or the people of Salone (but workers, trainers, facilitators, etc. have benefited greatly).

It's nothing like what's spent in the US but still a lot of money, relatively speaking.

However, I also know families who go without food for days. I know school children who can't pay their school fees. I know grandmothers who struggle to meet the needs of up to 13 grandchildren. I know people who go without medication when they're sick. I know some journalists who can't afford taxi fare to get to stories. I know people who live without toilets or electricity. I know men who are unemployed and desperate.

The money is flowing... but not down to the people who probably need it the most.

BTW, there are no election spending, campaign financing laws here in Sierra Leone... therefore, no information is available. No accounting is done. No reporting on spending is possible. And ultimately, the party that spends the most will probably carry the vote come November 17th.

Still waiting to see which political party that might be... S/

No comments:

Post a Comment