Saturday, November 3, 2012

As the election campaign hits full stride... political tension and violence is on the increase. I'm watching from the sidelines, mainly, but sometimes I just can't resist wandering through the crowds with my camera. 

Here's an image I took on Siaka Stevens St., Freetown, of young All People's Congress (APC) supporters beating an effigy of the leader of the opposition party, Sierra Leone People's Party (SLPP) during an APC rally that flooded the streets of Freetown.

Downtown Freetown today... a remarkable tinge of red to the streets. Wow. I wore blue, stayed out of the way (mostly) and saw the most incredible things. Yes, revelers in red. Yes, young drunken dancers. Political supporters. Soldiers, police. And this... APC supporters dragging and flogging a SLPP effigy on Siaka Stevens St. This was a bit shocking... good thing I have photos to show. S/

No comments:

Post a Comment