Sunday, November 11, 2012

APC rallies...


Okay... I'm going to try something... I'm going to try sending automatic e-mail notifications when this blog is updated. I promise not to overwhelm anyone but starting with this one you might/should receive notice that there's a new blog posted here.

Your name has been added because you are someone special in my life... but, I'm totally open to removing your name from the automated list if your "inbox overfloweth". Don't worry, I won't be offended. Smile. Let me know if you'd like to be removed... and no problem.

Today, as well as being Remembrance Day, is the final rally day in Freetown for the All People's Congress Party. Political rallies are amazing here... awe-inspiring... and somewhat silly, in many respects. A good friend who lives here and reports on West Africa for the Financial Times likens these events to "keggers" in the US. They're drunken parades, for the most part... lots of dancing, loud music, drinking, smoking (gangi, as they say here), etc. But, this form of political motivation is so, so important here in Sierra Leone.

Today, thousands of "red supporters" flooded the streets... Here's a picture taken from my balcony at Congo Cross (5:00 PM). That's the current President, standing in the sunroof, in the white hat tossing soccer balls to the frenzied crowd. No, the President is not a footballer but football is a passion here... it's clearly an attempt to appeal to the youthful followers. And, the battles for those footballs would make the WWF frown.

Party supporters are now coming back out of downtown back through Congo Cross... Looks like I won't get much sleep again tonight.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment