Thursday, September 4, 2014

Wanting to help... but

I had a drink and dinner with a good friend yesterday. We were sitting at Juliet's "sweet Africa" shack built out of sticks and tarps. Over dinner, my friend and I talked about Ebola, an ever-present topic of discussion.
A young guy, sitting within earshot, commented that he wanted to do something to protect people from Ebola. This guy, David, was young, healthy and obviously bright. I asked him why he wasn't up-country helping his family or any of the many NGOs working on the Ebola issue. He said he needed support. He wanted to travel and help... but also wanted some NGO or international group to pay him.
My friend and I commented that organizations in Kailahun, Kenema and other areas of Sierra Leone need people to help... help with burial teams... help with contact tracing... help with Ebola teaching... help with cleaning... etc. David admitted he was afraid to be so closely involved. I understand given the risks involved in some of the helping hands activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment