Saturday, September 6, 2014

Am I an okada rider... NO!

Last night (Friday) I happened to be out on my little motorbike around 8:00 p.m. I was stopped twice by the SL Police. At one location, St. John, the traffic police were courteous, polite and friendly. At St. John, the officers gathered around and said they saw me coming and thought I might be an okada rider. We shared a laugh and a brief chat... Then, they let me proceed without hassle after they saw I was not a commercial rider.
At the other location, Lumley, a young traffic officer was rude, pugnacious and arrogant. At Lumley, the traffic officer declared that all motorbikes were forbidden to be on the road after 7pm. I responded by quoting the President's speech in which Pres. Koroma banned okada riders after 7pm. The officer insisted... and took my driver's licence. After about 20 minutes of chatting... a senior inspector arrived... and immediately berated the young officer... and promptly returned my licence and let me go... home, where I was headed.
Sometimes I wish government communications were a little more specific... I ride a motorbike, which is sometimes called an okada. But, I am not a commercial rider. I carry a private licence number plate. I am insured as a private rider. I ride a slightly different motorbike than most of the commercial riders. Hmmm, how else can I prove I'm NOT an okada rider... but I am... just not a commercial okada rider.
Here is the relevant section from the President's speech and press release that followed... HIS EXCELLENCY ALSO PROCLAIMED A STATE OF PUBLIC EMERGENCY TO ENABLE US TAKE A MORE ROBUST APPROACH TO DEAL WITH THE EBOLA OUTBREAK.
PURSUANT TO SECTION 29(5) OF THE CONSTITUTION OF SIERRA LEONE ACT NO. 6 OF 1991, HIS EXCELLENCY THE PRESIDENT HEREBY MAKES THE FOLLOWING REGULATIONS TO COMPLEMENT THE MEASURES ALREADY IN FORCE:-
OKADA RIDERS IN ALL PARTS OF THE COUNTRY SHOULD OPERATE FROM 7 A.M. TO 7 P.M. DAILY;
ALL NIGHT CLUBS, CINEMAS AND VIDEO CENTRES SHOULD STOP THEIR ACTIVITIES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT;
ALL MUSHROOM HOSPITALS AND CLINICS SHOULD STOP THEIR OPERATIONS WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. A LIST OF SUCH ESTABLISHMENTS WILL BE PUBLISHED BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION;

No comments:

Post a Comment