Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's a Canadian thing...

Only in Canada, I'm sure...

I'm amazed, awed and honestly a bit shocked by it all... You see, two days ago I decided to order a new Macbook computer from Futureshop.ca. I have a colleague, Justine, who's traveling to Canada (Toronto) for Cmas and then coming back here to Freetown in January. She very kindly asked if she could bring me anything... and of course I jumped at her offer and the opportunity to upgrade my present computer.

I "reserved" a Macbook Pro via Futureshop in Barrie, Ontario. Yes, it took me almost an hour while the internet slooowwly chugged away... but I managed. After I'd placed the reservation, I got an acknowledgement e-mail from a sales woman at the store saying she'd brought the computer up to the front desk and all my parents had to do was pick it up and pay.

I wrote back to Samantha, at Futureshop, and thanked her profusely for her help, efficiency and speed of response. I told her I was in Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa... and we shared some e-mails back and forth. She asked what I missed about Canada... In my ramblings about Freetown and Canada, I happened to mention that I hadn't had a Tim Horton's coffee in a very, very long time... among other things I missed about Canada.

Well... Sure enough, my parents picked up the Macbook Pro at the front desk of Futureshop in Barrie the next day... although Samantha wasn't working at the time. And, lo and behold, there was a tin of Tim Horton's coffee, a special TH mug and a card, signed by members of staff at Futureshop, waiting with the Macbook. Samantha and her sales manager, Dave, conspired to send a touch of Canadianna to Sierra Leone with the Macbook.

That... that was so sweet... so thoughtful... so special... and so utterly Canadian of them all. Again, it surprised me and amazed me. Only in Canada. Only from Canada. And, I'm delighted. I can't wait till my colleague, Justine, gets back here in January... some computer fun... AND, a lovely, tall "double-double" of Timmies coffee. What more could a Canadian in Freetown want?! Nada!!

Special thanks to Samantha and the folks at Futureshop... No, this is not a paid-for advertorial... It really did happen. Maybe we should make a commercial out of it. Smile. Just joshin'.

Yours,
S/

No comments:

Post a Comment