Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Cmas in sweet Salone...

Another Cmas in sweet Salone has come and gone... but is fondly remembered.

Cmas Eve was quiet... and dark. No power, no internet connection, candles burning brightly. Started a new book (via headlamp) and relished the horizontal reading and early night. Listened to the music from a street party... and the firecrackers that are popular here at this time of year.

Cmas morning... a bit of a lie-in in bed... guess I needed the sleep. Up to heat water and enjoy my Nescafe while doing a crossword puzzle sitting on my small balcony under the Salone sun. The streets were quiet... first thing in the morning. As I finished my third crossword and my second cup of coffee, the streets became more active... people wandering down the hill carrying laden baskets of food to share, to picnic or to deliver. My phone kept "beeping" notices of holiday cheer and best wishes, which was lovely. Called some folks in Sierra Leone... to wish them happy holidays... and sent some text messages to those up-country.

Washed, dressed and out for a motorbike ride... after checking Congo Cross for the presence of police. All clear and helmet stowed inside... made my way around the western area of Freetown... enjoying the wind in my hair and sunshine on my cheeks. Zipped to a special friend's house... to share a drink, a delicious plate of fish and rice with their family... and listen to Barney's Cmas on their CD player. The children... there are always children... were excited and playful. Women in the compound were dressed in their Sunday best... hair freshly braided and adorned. The men sat and visited... talked about the holidays, the country, the compound, the elections... there are always political discussions... and joyfully ate plates of rice and drank cold soft drinks.

Well fed, I took a cruise along Aberdeen/Lumley Beach were thousands of revelers gathered to picnic, to hang out, to play football, to listen to music, to play on the sand and in the waves under the sunny skies. Great to see so many people out enjoying themselves... relaxing and, for a moment/day/afternoon, forgetting about their issues of concern.

Back home to tidy up and gather some books, chocolates and drinks... and off to visit more friends. Cmas music greeted me at their door... K&T are great hosts and had cold drinks waiting... Enjoyed a fabulous meal with special friends, new friends and colleagues. Of course, I ate too much and drank too much... and was thankful for their comfy couch at the end of dinner.

K. cooked turkey, stuffing and gravy... that was just delicious. Apple crumble and ice cream for dessert. Wow... T. cooked curry goat and spicy rice with beans... her heritage.

Exchanged books with people... shared ideas, talked a lot... and had a wonderful time.

Today is Boxing Day... (this morning I'm blessed with electricity and an internet connection) and more visiting is on the agenda. I'll be out on my motorbike again... with my helmet this time. But this morning... I'm thinking about family in Canada... friends in Canada... snow in Canada... Cmas holidays in Canada... decorations in Canada... and all that my country has to offer at this time of year.

Special thoughts and warm embraces to my extraordinary son, Isaac, who I miss terribly. My family is never far from my thoughts... and, if you're reading this, thank you for everything. I do miss you all.

Another Cmas in Salone... Who knows what the future holds.

Wishing one and all a very happy holiday.
S/


No comments:

Post a Comment