Saturday, December 20, 2014

Darkness lifted... and helicopters rose

Election day in Liberia...  (Saturday, December 20, 2014)

The election was slated for October... then December. Sentatorial races were on... then off. Campaigns were launched... then stalled. It's been an "up-and-down" time for Liberians - amidst the crisis of the Ebola disease. And it does seem a strange time to hold senate elections.

But today, Saturday, the skies are filled with helicopters... and the streets are quiet. The religious revival (too close to my compound) ended at 5:00 a.m. and I started work this morning at around 6:00 a.m., on my small porch, coffee mug at my side. The first helicopter rose around 6:30 and they've continued circling and zipping across the cloudless sky.

I have to admit my ignorance around the whole election process here in Liberia. I've been too wrapped up with Ebola... to have much time to follow the proceedings. But, from what I gather... this is a hot race in Monrovia... between independent candidate and son of the President, Robert Sirleaf and football legend, George Weah.

There have been skirmishes... campaign parades and posters. But, it's a subdued time... partly because of the Supreme Court wranglings over the timing and processes of these elections. The Courts finally decided, last Saturday, to allow the elections... but with reduced campaigning.

Ebola is here... and some of these campaign activities are "petri dishes for the disease" (ABC News). But, they're going ahead with this process "to avoid a Constitutional crisis" (Lib News Agency).

I love a good parade... and have been entertained on several occasions... but I can't help wondering how this will affect the nation - amidst the Ebola crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment