Thursday, July 31, 2014

Plastic gloves on the streets of Freetown

On the streets of Freetown... plastic gloves are selling for Le2,000 a pair... Quite steep when you consider a "cookery" plate of rice and plassas (cassava leaf, potato leaf or ground nut stew) costs Le5,000. I took these photos on July 31st, the day after President Koroma announced a national state of emergency over the Ebola crisis.

 One shop was also encouraging passers-by to dip their hands in the chlorinated water...

My friends at RIM Investment where I buy my phone top-up. They're worried about transmission of Ebola from the paper money.

 Selling chlorine tablets and plastic gloves on Siaka Stevens Street in downtown Freetown.

 Gloves for sale... And, I should add that this woman, Fatmata, was doing a booming business.

 Martha sells cold water in plastic bags... and was worried about greeting people and handling money.

These two guys stepped out of a government office and immediately donned their gloves... telling me "it's better to be safe than sorry".

No comments:

Post a Comment