Sunday, July 10, 2011

Left out of the loop...

I have to tell you... when I hear about the "latest" technology, the most recent international news or even word from "home", I feel quite "out of the loop". It's a strange sensation when I read about developments in Canada - a majority government, Toronto's mayor, the weather, the Stanley Cup, etc. Wonder and awe... curiosity and fear... amazement and shock.

I just read an article sent to me via a fellow Knight Fellow and it talked about "CMS" or content management systems for news outlets. Oh my... I don't know anything about that stuff. And, when I read about the great things going on with citizen journalists and "mapping", again... I'm a bit lost. When I found out that Iphone had a Facebook application... Wow... and I hear you can even "twitter or tweet" (I'm not sure how to describe that action) from a phone... Wow.

I learned about the Stanley Cup and the Vancouver riots through a friend here - who has cable TV - two weeks after the fact.

Living in Sierra Leone is a little like living in a vacuum. Very little news from the outside. Very little contact with the outside... and when I think about re-joining the world... oh my... it seems a daunting mission. On some very minor level, I think I know what it feels like for long-term prisoners to contemplate getting out of prison. The world has changed... and I've missed some of those changes.

Contemplating all these new developments... I can't wait to sink my teeth into some while others scare me. Technology... news... systems... politics... They all proceed and develop. Things change and I guess I have too... and I'm eager to see how I'll fit back in.

No... No plans for a return to Canada yet. But, change, development, technology and people are on my mind.

From inside the vacuum of Sierra Leone,
S/

No comments:

Post a Comment