Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wondering about weather...

Canadians have an extraordinary way of living with weather - all kinds of weather - from snow in May to rain in December. And, we talk about it, incessantly, it seems. We say things like, “oh, it looks like it’s going to be a nice day.” Or, “I hope it’ll be a nice day today.” We inquire about the weather when we talk to neighbours… We keep an eye on the sky, in other words. We regularly check the weather network for news of rain or snow or even the occasion sunny day. And, weather often makes front-page news… snowstorms, hail, floods, etc. Weather affects us all… all the time.

Here in Freetown – and probably throughout West Africa, weather is just not an issue. It’s sunny and hot… everyday! And no one seems to mind or notice the occasional deluge of rain and wind. We had a huge storm last night… The wind howled. The lightening lit the skies with firecracker precision. And the rain poured. Yet, in the morning, the sun was up. The humidity was back in full force. The ground was dry… and everyone got on with their day. I was in town today and no one commented on the storm. No one mentioned the heat. People continued to step over the open sewer drainage ditches… this time they were full of run-off… and no one batted an eye.

When I hike up the hill leading from my apartment to the street, I regularly greet the security guards, the construction workers, the kids and street vendors with niceties including, “it looks like it’ll be a nice day,” and they look rather shocked I’d even notice or mention it. For them, of course it’s going to be a nice day… It’s the same every day.

Sierra Leoneons don’t have to dress for the weather… there’s no such thing as a winter wardrobe or summer clothes. They don’t have a selection of hats. They don’t have a winter coat or snow boots… obviously. I remember someone saying, “there’s no such thing as inappropriate weather in Canada. It’s how you dress that’s inappropriate.” Here, linen pants (for the men) and cotton shirts is the norm and most appropriate choice of clothes – every day.

I’ve been told that there are basically two seasons here – dry and wet. And, I’ve heard we’re heading into the “rainy season.” Supposedly the “wet season” and rains are to begin sometime in June. I can’t wait because I love a good, sky-clearing, blood-curdling storm… However, I’ve also been told the temperature doesn’t drop… it stays in the thirties but apparently the skies do open and the rain falls. Maybe then people will start to talk about the weather and notice that one day’s weather is different from the next.

I’ll let you know…

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Steve!!! Julia is excited for both of you:) Have a wonderful day. Love, Jennifer and Familia ''Now here I am, [ Julia ] I hope it's going great in Africa, Uhhh... We miss u! good-bye. -wait! ;P.

    ReplyDelete